Phillips Shively’s Power and Choice, 15th Edition, (PDF) provides a detailed look into the nuances of politics, both international and domestic, through the use of numerous comparative perspectives and theoretical approaches. The major theme mirrored in the title is based on Shively’s definition of politics as the making of collective choices for a state or group through the use of power. Using comprehensive case examples from around the world, Power & Choice 15e offers undergraduate college students an engaging and clear introduction to political philosophy, international politics, and comparative legal systems.
Highlights of the 15th edition:
- A new four-color design and updated art program to better involve students.
- New pedagogical help includes “Major Themes to Look For” and review questions in each chapter, as well as new online study quizzes.
- New sections on the significance of norms in democratic government, the need to strike a balance in partisanship, the rise of “court” politics and the digital challenge to political parties,
- New examples include Rwanda’s attempt to eradicate the use of plastic bags, the two large-scale uprisings in Iran after its revolution, and climate change as an international problem of public goods.
- Extra coverage of the continuing fallout of the 2008–2009 worldwide economic crisis, the failed Arab Spring, the Nigerian elections and the upsurge of populism, and the fragility of democracies.
Simply the finest undergraduate textbook on politics. — Wonik Kim, Louisiana State University)
Power & Choice is the gold standard of the introductory texts accessible in political science. — Noel A.D. Thompson, Tuskegee University)
A lively exploration of politics that appreciates the unbelievable complexity, while at the same time builds a conceptual apparatus that allows students to explore the simplicity and beauty of politics. — Eric Boyer, Colby-Sawyer College
NOTE: The product only includes the ebook, Power and Choice: An Introduction to Political Science, 15th Edition in a converted PDF. The page numbers will NOT match the physical book. No access codes are included.